Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sunflowers





Sunflowers is 10 x 17 and 11 x 15. My art critique group is painting from the same photo for our Feb. meeting. There are parts of this that I like. I tried to pay attention to the use of colors ... warm vs cool. complementary colors, grays, etc. I painted light to dark and had trouble painting the background, which I am not happy with. Maybe I will cut out the vase and flowers and collage it onto another painting. Hmm that is a thought. I painted this twice, once using the complements yellow and purple and again using visual complements, yellow and blue. Each painting creates a different mood.

1 comment:

Michelle Himes said...

Your sunflower still life is beautiful, Marilyn. I like the background, and the way the yellow flowers show up against the blue, but then "break out" into the more neutral wall. It makes an interesting composition.